Thursday, March 4, 2010
I love Washington Square. Everyone loves Washington Square. Parking structures are tastefully hidden away out of sight; great food abounds, with outdoor seating placed away from traffic; and hey, there's a few theaters, too. This whole Asian-fusion enchilada is deftly bookended by an iconic Flatiron-esque hotel at one end (above) and the dapper Kirk Douglas theater at the other, clearly defining the district and giving it historical context.
It's just that every time I go there, I have an awkward time crossing the street. Everyone does. Washington's left turn lanes cut through the center planting strip at an angle, creating a confusing little web of crosswalks, controlled traffic signals, and mother-may-I buttons (as in, "mother may I walk across the street at the next green cycle?"). I'm not the only one who's mildly baffled — I've seen plenty of other people hesitate at curb cuts before skittering across with an awkward giggle and some sort of ironic declaration: "We're gonna get ourselves killed!" Stripping out that complicated median makes the act of crossing the street more what it should be: effortless. See it narrowed!
High quality prints available
explore the map
- video: my 2010 LA streetsummit presentation
- helms avenue at the helms bakery, culver city
- 2010 LA streetsummit: coverage wrapup
- friday favorites — thursday edition! vintage los a...
- santa monica boulevard + century park west, centur...
- 2010 LA streetsummit: envisioning urbanism photo g...
- 2010 LA streetsummit: what i learned
- grand avenue + 22nd street, los angeles
- 2010 LA streetsummit
- engineering bikeability for fun + profit: my artic...
- meet janette sadik-khan
- friday favorite: the shambles, york, united kingdo...
- venice boulevard + helms avenue, culver city
- reminder: the 2010 LA StreetSummit is this saturda...
- happy st. patrick's day!
- reader request: wilshire boulevard + westwood boul...
- TED talk: Gary Lauder's solution to pointless stop...
- why i am obsessed with obesity
- melrose avenue + westmount drive, west hollywood
- friday favorites: nord alley, seattle, washington
- i'll be at LA streetsummit...will you?
- rodeo drive + dayton way, beverly hills
- meet ramon martinez
- wilshire boulevard + curson avenue, miracle mile
- grand avenue + 1st street (southwest), downtown
- my parents’ house
- interview by openalex
- friday favorites: lucca, italy
- culver boulevard + cardiff avenue, culver city
- washington boulevard terminus, venice
- jh crawford on carbusters.org: making today’s citi...
- main street + hill street, santa monica
- more video goodness from streetfilms: fixing the g...
- sunset boulevard + virgil avenue (II)
- ▼ March 2010 ( 34 )
About the Photographer
Other sites by David Yoon
Tom Baker, LA Without Cars
FriendsNicola Yoon Design