Thursday, March 4, 2010

culver boulevard + cardiff avenue, culver city


I love Washington Square. Everyone loves Washington Square. Parking structures are tastefully hidden away out of sight; great food abounds, with outdoor seating placed away from traffic; and hey, there's a few theaters, too. This whole Asian-fusion enchilada is deftly bookended by an iconic Flatiron-esque hotel at one end (above) and the dapper Kirk Douglas theater at the other, clearly defining the district and giving it historical context.

It's just that every time I go there, I have an awkward time crossing the street. Everyone does. Washington's left turn lanes cut through the center planting strip at an angle, creating a confusing little web of crosswalks, controlled traffic signals, and mother-may-I buttons (as in, "mother may I walk across the street at the next green cycle?"). I'm not the only one who's mildly baffled — I've seen plenty of other people hesitate at curb cuts before skittering across with an awkward giggle and some sort of ironic declaration: "We're gonna get ourselves killed!" Stripping out that complicated median makes the act of crossing the street more what it should be: effortless. See it narrowed!
High quality prints available

explore the map

blog comments powered by Disqus

Previous Posts

About the Photographer

Los Angeles, CA, United States
Writer, designer, and urban planning geek.

Got a location idea or photo submission? Send it to hello@davidyoon.com. I'll post it to the blog or even run out to shoot it myself.

friends

Other sites by David Yoon
Microlawns
Personal site

Kindred Spirits
Tom Baker, LA Without Cars
James Howard Kunstler

Friends
Nicola Yoon Design
SIFT Angeles

Followers

All content © David Yoon and Narrow Streets: Los Angeles.